The Market

Greene County is one of the fastest growing counties in New York State. The focus on economic development of our small business community has attracted a wave of unique and successful ventures by our residents. Our location in the heart of the Catskills and the Hudson Valley provides a very diverse market of full-time residents, second homeowners and visitors. With close access to the New York State Thruway, I-90 and 1-84, Greene is well situated as a crossroads for regional tourism and big industry. Additionally, the uniqueness and charm of the individual communities attracts consumers with varied interests and needs.

Industries in Greene County

The Greene County economy is balanced, healthy, and diverse. It includes companies that are large and small, traditional and innovative, locally-owned and international – all critical to maintain future economic growth. Our two main industries, after government are Trade, Transportation and Utilities; and Leisure and Hospitality.

Trade, Transportation and Utilities consists of 20.3% of our county’s economy. This sector encompasses many types of companies – retailers, wholesale merchandising which includes publishing and agriculture, and utility services (electric power, natural gas, steam supply, water supply, and sewage removal).

Leisure and Hospitality comprises 15.2% of the economy and includes Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation as well as Accommodations and Food Service businesses.
industry-sectors-Greene-County

Retail Sales in Greene County

Retail sales have grown each year since 2009 by 4% or more.

Our Main Streets continue to thrive with new businesses opening to complement each other. For instance, Catskill features many custom home improvement and accessories boutiques including kitchen and bath design, appliances, tile work, lighting and art galleries; while Windham’s Main Street offers many clothing, shopping and eateries for both residents and tourists to enjoy.

There are also regional, independent, as well as national retailers that serve the needs of our community providing home products, every-day needs, car repair services, and more.
Greene-County-retail-sales

Demographics and Economic Information

Population

Greene County at a Glance

Greene County makes up 647 Square Miles in the Great Northern Catskills and Upper Hudson Valley. The population of 49,221 is comprised of 47.8% females and 52.2% males. More than 60% of the population is between the ages of 18 and 64. There are 18,922 households, with a median household income of approximately $45,000.

Second homeowners

Second Homeowners

Seasonal residents make up a significant economic component of Greene County, especially in the Mountain towns. Of those homeowners who identify a primary residence outside the county, a large majority live in the greater New York City Metropolitan Area, including the five boroughs of NYC, Long Island, northern New Jersey and Westchester and Rockland Counties.

valley-town-image

Residents

Greene County has approximately 49,000 residents. About 73% of the available workforce lives in Greene County but commutes outside (most often to the Capital Region) for work. Additionally, of those that are employed in Greene County, 48% are residents of the area, while the other 52% commute from surrounding counties.

valley-town-image

Second Homeowners

Greene County has a sizable second homeowner community. In addition, it also has over 8,000 seasonal properties, with its population doubling on major tourism weekends in the winter and summer. Over 80% of these homeowners reside in New York and New Jersey, mostly in the 5 borough and the greater New York Metropolitan Area.

valley-town-image

Tourism

Greene County has contributed significant amounts to build and sustain the tourism industry. The almost $200 million in tourism spending helps supplement the local economy and allows businesses to grow and expand. Windham and Hunter Mountains position Greene as an important skiing destination, but the growth of the arts, historical sites, sports & recreation, restaurants and more have made the county a truly four season destination that appeals to the interests of many types of visitors.

Live, Work, Love, Local.
The Market
383 Places to Shop 172 Restaurants 990 Services 49967 Customers Reached this Week
Join Our Participating Businesses

Your FREE ACCOUNT connects you to thousands of customers in Greene County, NY. Our online shopping guide is visited daily by consumers ready to  SHOP, DINE, and GET SERVICES from Local Businesses.

News & Events View All